Wednesday, June 8

10E2556: Middle Mountain | Boxing


I am fortunate to have New England creatives send material... this time from John Nolan previously of Flightless Buttress a 10e fave, in a new work creating instrumental works verging on oral soundscapes.
"It is a combination of music, guitars, loops, string quartet, synths and audio samples from various boxing matches and old recordings. There's not really a narrative, but I hope folks can find a story in there somewhere."
Full Middle Mountain out now.




John sent this to me the day before Muhammad Ali passed away. One of the first books I ever loaned from my grade school library was a bio on Ali. I sure did think he was the greatest - and his early stories of segregated Kentucky (and conscientious objection to Vietnam) were eye opening to a 6 year old kid in 1970s Vermont. Next I read the bios of Arthur Ashe, OJ and Dr J. This was still the time of ABC Friday Night Fights on tv. Was tough to see your hero get bloodied and beaten when he tried to come back against Holmes. Looking for that kids bio version of Ali to share w our boys. #thegreatest


Wait - you want to see stuff like this live??  Nolan & co. are playing next Wednesday night June 15th at Lilypad (Cambridge MA) at 10pm, and Saturday June 18th at Radio Bean outside Burlington (Winooski) VT at 6pm. THAT is a show I can do... [artwork by www.fionnmccabe.com ]